Location: Durham, NC (Hybrid schedule with 1-2 days onsite weekly)
Position Type: Full-Time (80% to 100% FTE)
Reports to: Director of Nursing
Program Description: Family Connects (FC) is a model for a community-based program supporting new parents in caring for their newborns, offering physical assessments of the postpartum person and infant, addressing questions about caring for a newborn, providing supportive guidance, and helping them access any needed community services or resources. The goal of Family Connects’ home visits is to support and assess family needs in 12 domains of physical and psychosocial well-being and facilitate referrals and connections to community agencies to support families in these areas. The model combines top-down identification and alignment of key community resources with a bottom-up approach of engaging individual families through short-term nurse home visiting. The program is currently being implemented in over 40 communities nationwide, with additional partners beginning implementation this year.
Occupational Summary: The Nurse Trainer serves a key member of the Family Connects International’s Nursing Leadership team to help onboard and support Family Connect partners and their nursing staff who provide home visits to families with newborns. Job functions include providing training and educational resources, the use of virtual platforms for training and communicating with partners, and periodic traveling to perform on-site evaluation for certification.
- Champion and fully learn all aspects of the Family Connect model, with particular focus on the Family Connects home visiting protocol reflected in the current program implementation manual.
- Assist in planning, developing, and delivering educational content and resources for Family Connects community partners.
- Develop and perform evaluations of nurse learning.
- Provide guidance to nurses and nursing supervisors in response to their questions and concerns.
- Utilize web-based communication and training methodologies as used by the team.
- Travel nationally to visit community partners, conduct home visits alongside nurses, and provide coaching (up to 20%).
- Keep training resources, documents, and other training tools up-to-date and easily available on cloud-based resources like Sharepoint and Teams.
- For candidates without Family Connects home visiting experience, some time may be spent performing home visits for families with newborns to gain clinical experience with the Family Connects program.
Required Qualifications at This Level:
- BSN required.
- Active unencumbered North Carolina RN license required, unless a higher-level active unencumbered North Carolina nursing license is held (e.g. certified nurse midwife or nurse practitioner).
- Maintain active CPR certification.
- Minimum 3 years clinical experience, including at least 1 year of nursing experience in maternal and/or infant health.
- Experience working with culturally diverse populations and ability to demonstrate sensitivity, flexibility, adaptability, and affinity for a multicultural environment.
- Experience and comfort with delivering formal presentations, both in person and virtually.
- Ability to manage a flexible yet demanding schedule with multiple competing demands while providing a high level of customer service.
- Ability to work independently and in teams.
- Commitment to universal home visiting as a public health intervention for newborns and their families.
Preferred Qualifications at This Level:
- MSN or MPH.
- Knowledge or experience related to adult learning theory and practice.
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office Suite and Learning Management Systems.
- Spanish language proficiency.
- Experience with project management, teaching, program implementation, nurse management, and/or data monitoring and evaluation.
- Extended sitting (up to 8 hours per day).
- Ability to work in different (changing) locations.
- Ability to move or lift at least 50 pounds.
- Ability to climb stairs.
- Ability to perform duties in an active environment with changes in climate and noise level.
- Requires regular kneeling, bending, and sitting on the floor.
- Drive in all types of weather.
- Ability to travel in air, train, and car.
Salary: $60-$75K commensurate with experience for Senior (10+ years), Advanced (5-10 years), and Expert (0-5 years)
FCI is committed to building a culturally diverse team. We strongly encourage minority and bilingual candidates to apply. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.