Job Title: Nurse Specialist
Location: Durham, NC, (Hybrid schedule with at least 1 day on site monthly)
Position Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports to: Nurse Manager
Family Connects International (FCI) is an independent 501c3 non-profit, that provides training and technical support on the implementation of the evidenced-based Family Connects Model, developed at Duke University, to implementing partners across the United States. Family Connects (FC) is a community-based program supporting new parents in caring for their newborns, offering physical assessments of the postpartum person and infant, addressing questions about caring for a newborn, providing supportive guidance, and helping them access any needed community services or resources.
The Nurse Specialist serves a key member of the Family Connects International’s nursing team to help onboard and support Family Connect sites and their nursing staff who provide home visits to families with newborns, as well as the administrative staff who support the program. Job functions include the use of virtual platforms for training and communicating with sites, as well as traveling to perform on-site evaluation for certification. Ability to communicate effectively with others is essential. Experience in parent-child health, home visiting, and/or lactation education preferred.
• Champion and fully learn all aspects of the Family Connect model, with particular focus on the Family Connects home visiting protocol reflected in the current program implementation manual.
• Assist in developing, planning, education, and sharing of clinical education and resources and serves as a clinical resource for FCI sites.
• Lead and/or assist in training, orienting, and evaluating new staff in the Family Connects model, eventually being responsible for assisting with certification assessments per protocol.
• Utilize web-based communication and training methodologies as used by the team.
• Apply the principles of the other components of the Family Connect model, community alignment and data and monitoring, to training and education to support a comprehensive and user-centered approach to training and learning of Family Connects.
• Assist in reviewing quarterly fidelity/compliance assessments of active sites.
• Conduct quality assurance site visits per FCI protocol.
• Keep training resources, documents, and other training tools up-to-date and easily available on the internal document storage system.
• Collaborate with the Family Connects International team to provide site support and assistance.
• Active unencumbered North Carolina RN license required, unless a higher-level active unencumbered North Carolina nursing license is held (e.g. certified nurse midwife or nurse practitioner).
• Maintain active CPR certification.
• Minimum 5 years clinical experience, including at least 1 year of nursing experience in maternal and/or infant health.
• Knowledge of infant development, attachment, and milestones.
• Knowledge of postpartum health.
• Knowledge of adult learning theories and principles.
• Experience working with culturally diverse populations and ability to demonstrate sensitivity, flexibility, adaptability, and affinity for a multicultural environment.
• Experience and comfort with delivering formal presentations, both in person and virtually.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to manage a flexible yet demanding schedule with multiple competing demands while providing a high level of customer service.
• Ability to work independently and in teams.
• Commitment to universal home visiting as a public health intervention for newborns and their families.
• Understanding of the social drivers of health.
• MSN or DNP in Nurse Education
• Home visiting, nurse management, and/or nurse education experience strongly preferred.
• Spanish proficiency.
• Experience in teaching, program implementation, administration, and data & evaluation.
• Extended sitting (up to 8 hours per day).
• Ability to work in different (changing) locations.
• Ability to move or lift at least 50 pounds.
• Ability to climb stairs.
• Ability to perform duties in an active environment with changes in climate and noise level.
• Requires regular kneeling, bending, and sitting on the floor.
• Drive in all types of weather.
• Ability to travel in air, train, and car.
At Family Connects International, great ideas are generated by interdisciplinary teams. We support a collaborative environment and value teammates with different ideas, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that having a diverse team makes FCI a more innovative and impactful place to work, and we strive to make FCI a welcoming and inclusive place for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. FCI is an equal opportunity employer, and we strongly encourage people from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds, LGBTQ+ individuals, and people with disabilities to apply.